N Ouerfelli, R Besbes, N Vrinceanu, S Labidi, E A El-Shazly, H Latrous and J Oliver
University of Tunis El Manar, Tunisia
University of Dammam, Saudi Arabia
L Blaga University of Sibiu, Romania
Atomic Energy Authority, Egypt
Oak-Ridge National Laboratory, USA
Posters & Accepted Abstracts: J Nucl Med Radiat Ther
Ionic self-diffusion coefficients D of the lanthanide trivalent trace ion 153Gd (III) have been determined in supporting aqueous
solutions of Gd(NO3)3-HNO3 over a large range of concentration in acidic medium (pH=2.50) at 25├?┬░C by the open-end capillary
method (O.E.C.M.). The method measures the transportation time of ion across a fixed distance. We optimized the pH in order
to avoid the hydrolysis, pairing and complexing trivalent 4f ions. The diffusion data obtained in large range of concentration as
well as the physicochemical properties, allow to derive the following information: (i) the limiting value D├?┬░ at zero ionic strength,
as 5.985 10-6 cm2├ó┬?┬ós-1 for 153Gd (III), (ii) the validity of the Onsager limiting law, (iii) the ionic self-diffusion coefficient as a function
of the ionic strength for asymmetrical 3:1 electrolytes in dilute solutions, (iv) a competition between ion-ion interaction and ionsolvent
interaction and (v) a more extended law available for an intermediate range of concentration up to 0.114 mol.L-1 and for a
concentrated range up to 1.5 mol.L-1. This study contributes to demonstrate similarities transport and structure properties between
153Gd (III) and 244Cm (III) trivalent ions explained by a similar electronic configuration, ionic radius and same hydration number.
These properties could also result from a long-range structuration of the concentrated ionic solution.
1. D Humelnicu, N Vrinceanu, DD Dumitrascu, E Popovici, N Ouerfelli (2016) Photocatalytic properties of the systems based on uranyl-incorporated SBA-15 mesoporous silica. International Conference on Environmental Protection, Veszpr├?┬ęm, Hungary, May 17-20.
2. DD Dumitrascu, E Popovici, N Vrinceanu, D Humelnicu, N Ouerfelli, RI Prepelita, I Gradinaru (2016) Photocatalytic performance of systems based on uranyl-incorporated SBA-15 mesoporous silica. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures 11: 381- 392.
3. N Ouerfelli, D Das, H Latrous, M Ammar, J Oliver (2014) Transport behaviour of the lanthanide 152Eu(III), 153Gd(III) and 170Tm(III) and transplutonium element 254Es(III), 244Cm(III), 241Am(III), 249Cf(III) and 249Bk(III) ions in aqueous solutions at 298 K. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry. 300: 51-55.
4. R Besbes, N Ouerfelli, M Abderabba, P Lindqvist-Reis, H Latrous (2012) Investigation of the Self-Diffusion Coefficients of Trivalent Gd3+ in aqueous solutions: the Effect of Hydrolysis and nitrate ion association. Mediterranean J. Chemistry 1:334-346.
5. N Ouerfelli, D Das, H Latrous, M Ammar, J. Oliver (2013) Hydration of the lanthanide ions 152Eu(III), 153Gd(III) and 170Tm(III) in aqueous solutions at 298 K and similarity with the transplutonium element ions 254Es(III), 244Cm(III), 241Am(III), 249Cf(III) and 249Bk(III). Radiochemistry Symposium Feb. 19-23, India.
N Ouerfelli has a PhD and Habilitation Diploma in Chemistry. He is the Head of Research Project in the Laboratory of Biophysics and Medical Technologies. He has published more than 45 papers in reputed journals on modeling of physicochemical properties in solution.
Nuclear Medicine & Radiation Therapy received 636 citations as per Google Scholar report