Health Studies Collegium, USA
Scientific Tracks Abstracts: Altern Integr Med
This workshop explores a rigorous hypothesis for how and why acupuncture works when it does and why it does not work
when it does not achieve successful outcomes.
Background Literature on Acupuncture in Western Repositories: Google scholar reports 516,000 scientific articles on
acupuncture (3/1/17). PubMed reports 14,042 peer review articles (3/1/17). This suggests how intensive and extensive is
observational research demonstrating remarkable and significant outcome results, often at lower costs and risks than allopathic
comparable treatments. Is Acupuncture a ├ó┬?┬?mystery wrapped in an enigma├ó┬?┬??
Support for this integrative systems biology understanding of acupuncture is presented here for the first time and reflects half
a century of experience seeking a bridge between TCM/acupuncture and Western biomedical sciences. Relevant observations
1. Acupuncture needles must be made from two different types of metal. The Kelvin-Thompson effect confirms that a tiny
electrical current flows from the needle tip. Usually the exterior is cooler. Use of moxa makes the exterior warmer and
reverses the polarity of the microelectrical flow.
a. The electrical flow direction is determined by the thermal gradient across the acupuncture needle.
b. Collagen is uniquely able to receive and transmit such tiny current flows; nanoamps.
c. Injection of collagenase into acupuncture points results in permanent harm; no other protease has such an effect.
2. Collagen is piezoelectric. A microcurrent and orthogonal magnetic field is generated whenever collagen is compressed.
Collagen is the only piezoelectric molecule in the body.
a. There are subtypes of collagen in the basement membrane and infrastructure of each animal. There are 28 subtypes of
collagen confirmed thus far.
b. While 90% of an animal├ó┬?┬?s collagen is type I (├ó┬?┬?bone and scar├ó┬?┬?), each collagen subtype has a functional nuance important
for cells to receive and exchange nutrients, wastes, gases and actively transported items needed by certain cells.
3. True acupuncture induces endorphin / cytokine release in the brain within seconds; shame acupuncture does not induce
endorphin / cytokine release.
4. Autocoids are endogenous steroids. More than physiologic amounts of steroids, either exogenous or endogenous, blunt or
block acupuncture effects. Cell membranes become less fluid and also less responsive to repair needs.
a. More than physiologic amounts of steroids blunt or block neurohormone responses by stabilizing cell membranes thus
reducing the cells responsiveness to stimulation.
b. Examples include lymphocytes, granulocytes, platelets and red cells.
5. Acupuncture channels or meridians are proposed to be collagen fibrils derived from the sentinel cells that migrate from
the notochord to every differentiated part of the body. As these pleuripotential cells migrate they leave behind a collagen
connective tissue fibril insulated by glycosaminoglycans. Acupuncture meridians appear to reproduce the embryology of
sentinel cells. The notochord is the anlage of the spinal column.
In this workshop participants are encouraged to understand more deeply the evidence in support of acupuncture through this unifying hypothesis. The Nei Ching, Nan Ching, I Ching and other classics of TCM are firm shoulders on which this hypothesis stands.
6. The horary clock or microcosmic circuit is confirmed through circadian biorhythm research.
7. Therapeutic synergy is reported between learned optimism, relaxation response and mindfulness practices. Repair of collagen by innate immune defense and repair cells is more efficient and effective when such self-care practices are included.
8. People with inflammatory, autoimmune and chronic illnesses routinely benefit from acupuncture in proportion to the healthfulness of their other habits of daily living. Acupuncture is more effective when the person addresses what they eat, drink, think, and do using nature, nurture and wholeness as guidelines. Staying well hydrated. Eating foods that can be digested, assimilated, and eliminated without immune burden. Keep a healthy transit time. Keep a healthy urine pH after six or more hours of rest.
9. Pulses may well carry information due to how the heart twists during each contraction. Collagen largely determines the compliance or resistance of blood vessels to flow. All blood vessels contain a collagen infrastructure.
Jaffe is board certified in Clinical Pathology and in Chemical Pathology. He is the recipient of the Merck, Sharp & Dohm Excellence in Research Award, the J.D. Lane Award, and the U.S.P.H.S. Meritorious Service Award. Dr Jaffe was honored as an International Scientist of 2003 by the IBC, Oxford, England, UK for his lifetime contributions to clinical medicine, biochemistry, immunology, methodology, and integrative health policy. Dr. Jaffe is also founder and chairman of ELISA/ ACT Biotechnologies, MAGique BioTherapeutics, and Better Lab Tests Now.
Alternative & Integrative Medicine received 413 citations as per Google Scholar report