Journal of Health Education Research & Development

ISSN: 2380-5439

Open Access

Community Knowledge towards Zoonotic Diseases and Attitude to One Health Approach in selected City of Ethiopia


Adem Hiko, Bezaneh Yilkale and Biressaw Serda

Background: Zoonotic diseases are substantial global public health burden from the risk linked among humans, animal populations and the surrounding environment as “One Health” issue.
Objective: This study was aimed to assess community knowledge on selected zoonotic diseases and attitude towards One Health approach in and around Bahir Dar City, Ethiopia.
Methodology: simple random sampling technique. Interview was used to collect community knowledge on selected zoonosis and attitude towards One Health approach. For responses given, a score of 1 was given for each knowledgeable and positive attitude response and 0 for unsure responses.
Results: The majority (84.2%) were knowledgeable on rabies as viral zoonosis. Almost similar, 30.2%, 29.9% and 12.6% of participants were knowledgeable about bovine tuberculosis, anthrax and brucellosis from bacterial zoonosis in descending order. Again 36.1%, 18.3% and 17.7% of participants were knowledgeable about taeniasis, manage and echinococcosis from parasitic zononosis respectively. Only 26.0% were awarded ring worm from fungal zoonosis. Very few (8.7%) awarded bovine mastitis from multifactorial zoonosis. Significantly higher (84.2%; OR=56.0; 95% OR CI=36.2-86.9) are knowledgeable about zoonotic risk of rabies compared to other assessed disease. However, the majorities (78.47%) of the respondents had positive attitude towards One Health approach for collaboration activities of health sectors but the remaining 21.53% were not. Similarity in community attitudes towards One Health approach were observed within age categories (p=0.454) but significant differences were observed between gender (p=0.023), among education status (p=0.001) and among the professional profiles (p=0.001) of studies population.
Conclusion: The result calls for organized outreach One Health approach based community education and awareness creation on the knowledge, associated risk factors of zoonotic disease.


Share this article

50+ Million Readerbase

Recommended Conferences

Journal Highlights

Google Scholar citation report
Citations: 441

Journal of Health Education Research & Development received 441 citations as per Google Scholar report

Journal of Health Education Research & Development peer review process verified at publons

Indexed In

arrow_upward arrow_upward