GET THE APP

The role of topoisomerase [IIA] as a predictive factor for response to neoadjuvant anthracyclines based chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer
..

Cancer Science & Therapy

ISSN: 1948-5956

Open Access

The role of topoisomerase [IIA] as a predictive factor for response to neoadjuvant anthracyclines based chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer


Cancer Diagnostics Conference & Expo

June 13-15, 2016 Rome, Italy

Mohammed Gamea, A Barakat, F Zakaria and M Alm

University of Tanta, Egypt

Posters & Accepted Abstracts: J Cancer Sci Ther

Abstract :

Background: Surrogate markers may be used to assess the response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. The purpose of the study was to evaluate topoisomerase II├?┬▒ as predictive factor for response to neoadjuvant anthracyclines based chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer patients. Tumor grade scored according to the Elston-Ellis classification, hormonal receptor (HR) status, tumor cell proliferation evaluated by Ki-67 staining, HER-2 and topoisomerase II alpha (TopoIIa) expression evaluated by immunohistochemistry (IHC). Method: Between January 2012 and June 2012, 50 locally advanced breast cancer patients had received 3 cycles neoadjuvant chemotherapy and were studied in Clinical Oncology Department at Tanta University. Regimens including either CEF (cyclophosphamide 500 mg/m2, epirubicin100 mg/m2, 5-fluorouracil 500 mg/m2) or FAC (cyclophosphamide 500 mg/m2, doxorubicin 50 mg/m2, 5 fluorouracil 500 mg/ m2). Protein expression of HER2 and Topo II├?┬▒ were determined by immunohistochemistry. The primary endpoint was pathological and clinical tumor response that assessed clinically and by mamography, then by pathological assessment. Results: Of 50 primary locally advanced breast cancer patients had been assessed after 3 cycles of NACT, the clinical complete response was in 6% (3/50), clinical partial response was in 86% (43/50) and overall clinical response was 92% (46/50), 4 (8%) patients had clinical stable disease and no one developed disease progression. Responders had the following biomarkers criteria: Clinical (CR): 3 patients had co-expression of topo II and HER2, hormonal receptor negative and high KI-67. Clinical (PR): Out of 43 patients, majority had topo IIA overexpression. Non-responders had the following criteria: 4 (8%) patients had negative (TOPOII/HER2), low KI-67 and 2 had hormonal receptor positive and another 2 had hormonal receptor negative. Conclusion: Our study suggests that HER2 and Topo II├?┬▒ overexpression could be predictors of the response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in both the CEF and FAC arms.

Biography :

Email: mohammed.game3@hotmail.com

Google Scholar citation report
Citations: 3644

Cancer Science & Therapy received 3644 citations as per Google Scholar report

Cancer Science & Therapy peer review process verified at publons

Indexed In

 
arrow_upward arrow_upward