GET THE APP

..

Veterinary Science & Technology

ISSN: 2157-7579

Open Access

Prevalence of Bovine Cysticercosis at Holeta Municipality Abattoir and Taenia Saginata at Holeta Town and its Surroundings, Central Ethiopia

Abstract

Seifu Hailu

A cross section study was conducted during November 2011 to March 2012 to determine the prevalence of Cysticercosis in animals, Taeniasis in human and estimate the worth of Taeniasis treatment in Holeta town. Active abattoir survey, questionnaire survey and inventories of pharmaceutical shops were performed. From the total of 400 inspected animals in Holeta municipality abattoir, 48 animals had varying number of C. bovis giving an overall prevalence 12% (48/400). Anatomical distribution of the cyst showed that highest proportions of C. bovis cyst were observed in tongue, followed by masseter, liver and shoulder heart muscles. Of the total of 190 C. bovis collected during the inspection, 89(46.84%) were found to be alive while other 101 (53.16%) were dead cysts. Of the total 70 interviewed respondents who participated in this study, 62.86% (44/70) had contract T. saginata Infection, of which, 85% cases reported using modern drug while the rest (15%) using traditional drug. The majority of the respondent had an experience of raw meat consumption as a result of traditional and cultural practice. Human Taeniasis prevalence showed significant difference (p0.05). An inventory of pharmaceutical shop (pharmacies, drug stores and rural drug vendors) revealed a total of 925,000 adult taeniacidal drug doses worthing a total of 3,006,250 ETB (Ethiopian birrs) during five years of 2006 and 2010. Vermox and Niclosamide were the most frequently sold drug for the treatment of Taeniasis, while praziquantel was the least sold drug. In conclusion, the study revealed high prevalence of T. saginata metacestodes throughout the edible organs together with existence of deep-rooted tradition of raw meat consumption. This may magnify the public health hazards of T. saginata in the study area. As a result, the disease deserves due attention to safeguard the public health and further promote beef industry in the country.

PDF

Share this article

Google Scholar citation report
Citations: 2836

Veterinary Science & Technology received 2836 citations as per Google Scholar report

Veterinary Science & Technology peer review process verified at publons

Indexed In

 
arrow_upward arrow_upward