Hannes F Paulus
University of Vienna, Austria
Dr. Paulus completed his Ph.D from University of Vienna in 1971. At present, he is Full Professor in Zoology, head of the Dept. of Evolutionary Biology at the University of Vienna (Austria). He was the Speaker of the faculty research focus “Evolutionary Biology”(2005-2012), President of the Austrian orchid pollination working group (Vienna) (1999- present). He has done Field research work in Columbia, Nigeria, Kenya (pollination by bats) and yearly scientific field studies in many parts of the Mediterranean area (Greece, Italy, Spain, N.Africa, Cyprus, Turkey, Israel): pollination biology, phylogeny and systematics of the orchid genus Ophrys and other orchids, ecology and systematics of bees and beetles.
(1) Pollination biology:
Sexually deceptive orchids of the genus Ophrys: pollination mechanisms (olfactory compounds, visual cues), pollinators as premating isolation factors, phylogeny and systematics.
(2) Phylogeny of European orchids
(3) Pollination of European orchids:
mainly Epipactis, Dactylorhiza, Coeloglossum, Cephalanthera, Spiranthes
(4) Bumblebees as pollinators in phytocoenoses
(5) Functional morphology of flower visiting insects
(6) Eye structures and phylogeny of Arthropoda
(7) Biology and phylogeny of beetles (Byrrhidae, Dascillidae, Lymexylidae, Nosodendridae), wild-bees and European orchids.
(8) Biotope management and ecosystem research