Journal of Oncology Medicine & Practice

ISSN: 2576-3857

Open Access

Patterns of Cancer in University of Gondar Hospital: North-West Ethiopia


Tefera B, Assefa M, Abebe B and Rauch D


Cancer affects all human beings. However, the type and patterns of occurrence vary depending on geographical location, socio-economic status, life style, genetic variation and other risk factors. Like other sub-Saharan countries, the incidence of cancer is rising in Ethiopia. The number of patients with a diagnosis of cancer is alarmingly rising in University of Gondar Hospital. Here, we describe the pattern of cancer diagnosed with their socio demography.


Study design: This was a retrospective record analysis of pathology service results, biopsy and FNAC.

Population: All patients with a record of diagnosis as cancer according to the pathology (FNAC and biopsy) from Sept 2014 to Aug 2015 were included.

Data collection and handling: Data was collected from the pathology department record books by physicians working in the department. It was documented in an excel sheet and cross checked for consistency by the investigator. It was transferred to SPSS version 20 and descriptive analysis was done.


Out of 3231 samples (1263 biopsies and 1968 FNAC) evaluated in university of Gondar hospital in 2014 – 2015, 540 (16.7%) were malignant cancer cases. Among this 346 (64%) were females and the rest 194 (36%) were males. The age pattern shows, 499 (92%) were occur in adults and 41 (8%) are occurred in children. Lymphomas, cervical cancer and breast cancer are the three top common cancers of all age groups.

In adult population cervical cancer, breast cancer and lymphoma are most common. In children of age less than 14 years lymphomas, wilm’s tumor and retinoblastoma were the three top cancers. Cervical cancer, breast cancer and lymphomas are found to be the commonest cancers in females. On the other hand, lymphomas, head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC), and colorectal cancer are the three top commonest cancers in males.


This first study on cancer pattern in North-west Ethiopia indicates cancer is one of the common finding from cytology and histology samples analyzed in the pathology department. Comprehensive demographic and clinical data using population or facility based registry is required to get better information and for planning and monitoring cancer pattern in the region. Additionally, it will help in resource prioritization and decision making in the treatment strategies of cancer in the country.


Share this article

arrow_upward arrow_upward